Re: OID conflicts

From: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
To: Tom Dunstan <tom(at)tomd(dot)cc>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Gevik Babakhani <pgdev(at)xs4all(dot)nl>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: OID conflicts
Date: 2006-09-18 21:20:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Sep 18, 2006 at 10:09:52PM +0100, Tom Dunstan wrote:
> Hmm. A simpler way lessen the pain might be to have a script which could
> update OIDs in your catalog files. You'd have to run it BEFORE doing a
> merge. Ie, suppose I've allocated 2978-2991 in my patch, but since then
> OIDs have been allocated up to and including 2980. The way to tell that

<snip>

Seems awfully complicated. The numbers don't mean anything, they don't
have to be contiguous. If you want to reduce the chance of conflict,
find a nice big block in unused_oids, add a random number between 0 and
100 and use that. Or squeeze yourself into a block that exactly fits
what you need. There's simply not that many patches that need numbers
to worry about anything complicated.

When I needed a few dozen OIDs for an (unapplied) patch I simply picked
2900 and went up from there. That was a while ago and there's no
conflict yet.

Have anice day,