Re: [HACKERS] Patch for UUID datatype (beta)

From: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jimn(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: mark(at)mark(dot)mielke(dot)cc
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org,Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>,Gevik Babakhani <pgdev(at)xs4all(dot)nl>,pgsql-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Patch for UUID datatype (beta)
Date: 2006-09-18 21:17:50
Lists: pgsql-hackerspgsql-patches
On Mon, Sep 18, 2006 at 12:23:16PM -0400, mark(at)mark(dot)mielke(dot)cc wrote:
> I have UUID generation in core in my current implementation. In the
> last year that I've been using it, I have already chosen twice to
> generate UUIDs from my calling program. I find it faster, as it avoids
> have to call out to PostgreSQL twice. Once to generate the UUID, and
> once to insert the row using it. I have no strong need for UUID
> generation to be in core, and believe there does exist strong reasons
> not to. Performance is better when not in core. Portability of
> PostgreSQL is better when not in core. Ability to control how UUID is
> defined is better when not in control.

That's kinda short-sighted. You're assuming that the only place you'll
want to generate UUIDs is outside the database. What about a stored
procedure that's adding data to the database? How about populating a
table via a SELECT INTO? There's any number of cases where you'd want to
generate a UUID inside the database.

> The only thing an in-core version provides is convenience for those
> that do not have easy access to a UUID generation library. I don't
> care for that convenience.

It's not about access to a library, it's about how do you get to that
library from inside the database, which may not be very easy.

You may not care for that convenience, but I certainly would.
--
Jim Nasby                                    jimn(at)enterprisedb(dot)com