BUG #2631: database locking problem

From: "Ross Elliott" <ross(dot)elliott(at)infoterra-global(dot)com>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BUG #2631: database locking problem
Date: 2006-09-16 22:12:24
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference: 2631
Logged by: Ross Elliott
Email address: ross(dot)elliott(at)infoterra-global(dot)com
PostgreSQL version: 8.1.4
Operating system: Red Hat AS 4
Details:

I have a dataset of aprox 650 million rows that I load into 5 spatial
(PostGIS) tables using 9 client machines (via JDBC). On 8.1.3 this all works
fine but on 8.1.4 it will fail with just three clients loading the data. The
database will lock up, the process list shows the clients performing an
INSERT, the postgres locks show each client having an exclusive row lock and
these locks seem to move about, that is it would seem to be working, except
that nothing is being inserted, I've left the system in this state for over
a day just to make sure. So, what happened between 8.1.3 and 8.1.4 that may
have affected locking?