The supplementary proposal of pg_ctl reload

From: Katsuhiko Okano <okano(dot)katsuhiko(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: okano(dot)katsuhiko(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp
Subject: The supplementary proposal of pg_ctl reload
Date: 2006-09-15 11:50:43
Lists: pgsql-docs

There is the following description in [17.1. Setting Parameters].
> The configuration file is reread whenever the postmaster process receives
> a SIGHUP signal

When I tried 'pg_ctl reload' with some lines commented out, I found that
the value for the commented-out parameter was staying unchanged,
rather than set to the default value.

For example,
"log_min_duration_statement" The default is set as -1 and commented out in postgresql.conf.
If I tried it to set 0 and 'reload', parameter will set to 0 at postmaster.
but I want changed to -1 at postmaster, tried it commented-out in postgresql.conf and reload,
it will still unchanged. it can chenge by 'restart'.

I think that it should supplement since it is easy to misunderstand this
at 'pg_ctl start' and 'pg_ctl reload', treatment of the line which commented out
at the time of reading postgresql.conf looks differ, cautions are required.
Therefore, I think that it should supplement.

I'd like to propose to add the following to the above "A second way to
set there configuration parameters":
When parameters in postgresql.conf are commented out and reloaded, those
values will not be changed to the default values and will stay at the
present states.

(Somebody of native English speakers check this text...)

Katsuhiko Okano
okano katsuhiko _at_ oss ntt co jp

pgsql-docs by date