The supplementary proposal of pg_ctl reload

From: Katsuhiko Okano <okano(dot)katsuhiko(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: okano(dot)katsuhiko(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp
Subject: The supplementary proposal of pg_ctl reload
Date: 2006-09-15 11:50:43
Lists: pgsql-docs
Hi.

There is the following description in [17.1. Setting Parameters].
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/runtime-config.html#CONFIG-SETTING
> The configuration file is reread whenever the postmaster process receives
> a SIGHUP signal

When I tried 'pg_ctl reload' with some lines commented out, I found that
the value for the commented-out parameter was staying unchanged,
rather than set to the default value.

For example,
"log_min_duration_statement" The default is set as -1 and commented out in postgresql.conf.
If I tried it to set 0 and 'reload', parameter will set to 0 at postmaster.
but I want changed to -1 at postmaster, tried it commented-out in postgresql.conf and reload,
it will still unchanged. it can chenge by 'restart'.

I think that it should supplement since it is easy to misunderstand this
specification.
Because,
at 'pg_ctl start' and 'pg_ctl reload', treatment of the line which commented out
at the time of reading postgresql.conf looks differ, cautions are required.
Therefore, I think that it should supplement.

I'd like to propose to add the following to the above "A second way to
set there configuration parameters":
---
When parameters in postgresql.conf are commented out and reloaded, those
values will not be changed to the default values and will stay at the
present states.
---

(Somebody of native English speakers check this text...)

Regards,
--------
Katsuhiko Okano
okano katsuhiko _at_ oss ntt co jp