Re: Progress and Questions

From: Richard Broersma Jr <rabroersma(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: "Eric M(dot) Cherry" <cherry_eric(at)sbcglobal(dot)net>, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Progress and Questions
Date: 2006-09-09 04:10:01
Lists: pgsql-novice

> emc: > > Is there a reason to pick one of those languages over another?

Most people have listed languages that they personally like because of the nice features that each
as in one area or another. However, from the threads that I've read, posters suggest using the
language that you are most familiar with. In my case, I wanted to learn PHP, but since my primary
effort/interest is learning PostgreSQL and SQL in general I've placated myself to using MS-Access
+ ODBC as a front end in the mean time.

However, one point that worries me about using MS-Access is that I don't want to learn building
the front-ends the Access way (i.e. bound forms) if it doesn't conform to any widely accepted
design philosophy used by most other technologies. My intuition is that other technologies simply
passes SQL command to the back-end database rather than binding a form to a query or table. The
good news is that Access will allow you develop front-ends either way.

Perhaps a seasoned application developer could shed some light on any "more conventional way" for
attaching a front-end to the back-end for the both of us.

Regards,

Richard Broersma Jr.