Re: Progress and Questions

From: "Eric M(dot) Cherry" <cherry_eric(at)sbcglobal(dot)net>
To: <operationsengineer1(at)yahoo(dot)com>, <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Progress and Questions
Date: 2006-09-08 21:14:38
Lists: pgsql-novice

operationsengineer1 wrote:

> decision time. database development isn't trivial.
> you will probably not ever stop learning new languages
> or new functionality until you stop developing
> applications.
>
> like it or not, this just comes with the territory.
> there is lots to learn - the sooner you get started,
> the more time you have to learn this information. do
> be patient with yourself and pace yourself.
>
> if you don't want to constantly learn new things,
> perhaps db application development isn't your thing.

Heh. How often does life imitate application development? Like most
things, this undertaking grew more complicated the more I delved into it.
Still, it *is* exciting enough that I'm keen to continue.

> 1. do you require cross platform OS compaitibility?
> 2. do you want a free and open source approach?
> 3. do you want something relatively easy to get into,
> even if not the best programmin gapproach?
> 4. is your application going to be web based?
>
> all my answers were yes, and i ended up with php.

For myself, I don't have a dog in most of those fights. I'd be happy with a
product that works in one platform, without needing to be web-based, etc. I
can see the benefits to having all four be yes, though.

> in addition to learning about pgsql, i had to learn
> sql, html, css (cross browser compatibility
> programming is the WORST experience to date), php,
> Manuel Lemos' forms class, ADOdb db abstraction layer,
> minimal javascript and the DOM (a close second in
> HORROR compared to css due to shoddy and inaccurate
> PHP/DOM related tutorials).
>
> i'm currently learning some ruby and ruby on rails b/c
> it is a more powerful programming language and rails
> is a framework that can be very useful in some
> circumstances. ruby can be used to create cross
> platform desktop apps from an executable file.

I'm told that even the most stalwart heroes wish they'd stayed home when
they see the size of the dragon. Thanks for the guidance!

- emc