BUG #2611: 2 instalation probs: invalid directory and user account creation

From: "Paul Suckling" <paul(dot)suckling(at)galileo(dot)umh(dot)ac(dot)be>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BUG #2611: 2 instalation probs: invalid directory and user account creation
Date: 2006-09-08 16:18:09
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference:      2611
Logged by:          Paul Suckling
Email address:      paul(dot)suckling(at)crmm(dot)umh(dot)ac(dot)be
PostgreSQL version: 8.1.4-1
Operating system:   Windows XP

I used the file postgresql-8.1.msi to install the software from an
administrator account on an up to date Win XP, using the instructions at

as suggested by the readme. At the time of installing the software, no other
accounts existed.

Problem 1)

During installation I chose to install the software to

I have ActivePerl installed (5.8.7), and at the "Enable procedural
languages" step I selected both "PL/pgsql" and "PL/perl".

I got to the installing step, and everything was progressing fine. Just
before the "Installation complete" window, I encountered a couple of error
messages telling me that it couldn't find certain perl related files at
under C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.1\ or something similar.

Problem 2)

During the "Service Configuration" step of the installation, I entered a
non-existant account name (Web) and left the account domain as is. I
expected the installer to create an account for me.

I believe an error must have occured when doing so. I can see the account
directory under

C:\Documents and Settings\Web\

However, when I log off windows, it doesn't appear on the log on screen.
Furthermore, when I investigate "User Accounts" from the control panel, it
doesn't exist there either. I cannot therefore log onto the account, nor
delete the account. If I try to create an account with the same name, it
tells me that one already exists.

Please can you tell me what I should do to resolve this most annoying
problem? I tried uninstalling postgreSQL, but, as I guessed it wouldn't, it
didn't delete this ghost account.

Please let me know if there is any other information I can provide which
will help you.

Thank you,

pgsql-bugs by date

Next:From: stig eriksonDate: 2006-09-08 17:11:00