Re: [HACKERS] DOC: catalog.sgml

From: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jim(at)nasby(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org,Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)Sun(dot)COM>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] DOC: catalog.sgml
Date: 2006-09-02 23:34:28
Lists: pgsql-hackerspgsql-patches
On Fri, Sep 01, 2006 at 12:36:11PM -0400, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
> > Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)Sun(dot)COM> writes:
> > > I little bit enhanced overview catalog tables. I added two new columns.
> > > First one is OID of catalog table and second one contains attributes
> > > which determine if the table is bootstrap, with oid and global.
> >
> > Why is this a good idea?  It seems like mere clutter.
>
> What's "global"?  A maybe-useful flag would be telling that a table is
> shared.  Is that it?  Mind you, it's not useful to me because I know
> which tables are shared, but I guess for someone not so familiar with
> the catalogs it could have some use.
>
> The OIDs may be useful to people inspecting pg_depend, for example; but
> then, it's foolish not to be using regclass in that case.
>
> Whether a table is "bootstrap" or not doesn't seem useful to me.

Something that might be handy would be a method to determine if an
object is a system object or not (perhaps what the OP means by
bootstrap). We spent quite some time figuring out how to handle that
when we were working on newsysviews. In that case, we wanted the info
because it's handy to be able to query a view that's not cluttered up
with a bunch of system-defined stuff. Having a way to get a list of only
user-defined functions, for example.
--
Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect                   jim(at)nasby(dot)net