Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Allow PL/python to return

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)skype(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Allow PL/python to return
Date: 2006-09-02 15:56:41
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)skype(dot)net> writes:
> > Do you have anyone specific in mind who should also do the review ?
>
> I went through the commit log for plpython.c to see who'd be a likely
> prospect, and was dismayed to realize that basically no one has done
> any serious work on it since the original author disappeared about four
> years back :-(. There are a whole lot of commits that are
> search-and-replace by-blow from unrelated backend changes, and a couple
> of people have fixed isolated bugs, but I'm not sure we have anyone who
> would claim to understand the module as a whole. Scary.
>
> I guess what I'm wishing for is someone to adopt ownership of plpython
> and invest the effort to get up to speed on the whole thing. It's
> certainly well behind the curve on such things as support of IN/OUT
> parameters. (I was about to say named parameters as well, but on second
> look it looks like this commit just did something about that.)
>
> Anyway, I can't say whether or not there's anything wrong with this
> patch --- it may well be just fine. What's bugging me is that we don't
> seem to have any way to find out except wait for bug reports.

You and me both, buddy. I often feel like I am not fully capable of
doing many of the tasks I do, but because no one else wants to do it, I
make the best of it and hope others will help out if problems arise.

You would think our system of applying and getting feedback would have
failed to produce quality software long ago, but it hasn't. ;-) One
good thing is that people love a puzzle, so problems seems to get
fleshed out pretty quickly.

--
Bruce Momjian bruce(at)momjian(dot)us