Re: error in upper()

From: Klaus Ita <klaus(dot)ita(at)ai(dot)wu-wien(dot)ac(dot)at>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: error in upper()
Date: 2006-08-26 22:40:42
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Hi Richard,

On Sat, Aug 19, 2006 at 09:49:41AM -0700, Richard Troy wrote:
> Hi Klaus,
>
> I must have missed the bug submitted about this, but as a student of
> German I took particular interest in your post.

I am sorry, I posted it with a bad sender address. I can't remember which one
i used for my pg-subscription :-)

> I'm unaware of any upper case or lower case for 'ß', just as there is no
> upper or lower case for '@'. So, I'd expect the function to pass it
> through. It's not - or shouldn't be - the business of upper() or lower()
> to translate your characters for you which haven't got an appropriate
> upper or lower case version...

Well, with the @ i agree. but when you have any word containing ß and you
want to upper it, it is possible. It is a german grammar rule. I've come
across this as the perl people actually do consider it in perl6. (maybe it
was parrot, but i will find out)

the difficulty about this very specific character is, that the upper case
represantation is "SS". In old german, it used to be "SZ", which makes it
even more difficult :-( .

anyway, there cannot be any lower for SS that maps it to ß, that would
require knowledge of the word at least.

and .... I just tried in the different programming languages i know (which is
by far not enough) but in java, eg when you use the javac from sun, it
actually works the way i say.

i will add the .java I used and I am sure you can try yourself.

thanks for your interest!

regs,
klaus

--