Re: New XML section for documentation

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: nikolay(at)samokhvalov(dot)com
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: New XML section for documentation
Date: 2006-08-26 16:47:22
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-hackers

Nikolay Samokhvalov wrote:
> On 8/26/06, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net> wrote:
> > Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > > Validation
> > > ----------
> > > /contrib/xml2 has a function called xml_valid() that can be used in
> > > a CHECK constraint to enforce that a field contains valid XML. It
> > > does not support validation against a specific XML schema.
> >
> > Then this is not validation but only checking for well-formedness. The
> > xml2 README says so, in fact.
>
> Exactly. contrib/xml2 mixes the term here, xml_valid() should be
> another function, that takes two types of data - XML value and
> corresponding XML schema - and validate the XML data. Actually, the
> latest version of SQL/XML standard includes such a function
> (XMLVALIDATE).

I understand, but do we want to break backward compatibility to rename
it? We could create a xml_check, and keep xml_valid as a
single-argument function, and implement schema-checks as a two-parameter
function, but that seems odd too.

> If you decide to include the mentioning about contrib/xml2 to docs, I
> would suggest the patch for this module. The patch renames that
> function to xml_check() and adds xml_array() (issue from the current
> TODO). Or it's too late for 8.2?

Hard to say. What does xml_array do? We are more lenient about
/contrib additions after feature freeze, but it is pretty late. Aren't
you working on updating the new XML syntax support in the backend? Are
you done with that patch?

> Also, I would add a little introduction to XML terms (from XML
> standards) to this documentation section.

OK, but which terms. I only see XML and XSLT, and I documented those on
first mention in the newest version.

--
Bruce Momjian bruce(at)momjian(dot)us