Re: logos and the BSD license

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>,Shane Ambler <pgsql(at)007marketing(dot)com>
Subject: Re: logos and the BSD license
Date: 2006-08-23 17:23:42
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
Am Mittwoch, 23. August 2006 18:29 schrieb Joshua D. Drake:
> Well, in the spirit of the BSD I would say:
>
> Attribution (by)
>
> http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.5/

Well, the main problem with that license is that it prohibits you from copying
the works over encrypted links or storing the works on encrypted media or a
computer protected by a password.

"You may not distribute, publicly display, publicly perform, or publicly
digitally perform the Work with any technological measures that control
access"

The more general problem is that it is excessively complicated and ambiguously
worded and doesn't achieve anything beyond what the BSD license does.

If the BSD license is too complicated still, I can offer the following
alternative license: "You may use, modify and redistribute this software as
you wish."

--
Peter Eisentraut