Re: RES: Issue on Varchar Ordering

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Erika Terahata Torres Prada e Silva - MPS <erika(dot)prada(at)previdencia(dot)gov(dot)br>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: RES: Issue on Varchar Ordering
Date: 2006-08-17 14:52:54
Lists: pgsql-admin

Erika Terahata Torres Prada e Silva - MPS wrote:
> Peter,
>
> Thanks for answering.
>
> But it's not correct to my language pt_BR and it worked correctly with
> PostgreSQL at Windows and FreeBSD. I have this problem only with Debian and
> now I'm looking for some Debian related issue.

It's still correct -- it's the ordering you'll find on the telephone
guide. It works the same for portuguese and for spanish and a lot
others. The problem with going to C locale (POSIX), as suggested in a
related follow-up, is that it sorts by byte value, which is not at all
correct when you start sorting stuff that contains funny letters
(accented vowels, etc). It works for english people just because they
don't worry about accents at all. I wonder if portuguese has special
sorting rules for "nh", for example? You'll lose that if you just
change to the C locale.

I think you _can_ define a collation on which spaces are significant,
but it's also a significant amount of work. (And IMHO not at all worth
the trouble.)