Re: password authentication failed for user "postgres"

From: Richard Broersma Jr <rabroersma(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Ramon Orticio <rporticio(at)yahoo(dot)com>, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: password authentication failed for user "postgres"
Date: 2006-08-14 04:09:54
Lists: pgsql-novice

> i'm using fedorca core 4 with the default postgres 8 default in it. i also installed pgadminIII
> versiion 1.4.3. i run postgres in the console with a password, initialized it with initdb
> --pgdata=/var/lib/pgsql/data, created a database and was able to create and insert table and
> records respectively. i used sql command select * from table and successfully retrieved the
> data. i also exited successfully.
>

> however when i used the pgadminIII to connect to the server i am always comfronted with the
> password authentication problem although i am also using the same pasword similar to the one
> used in my console postgres entry.
>
> what must be the problem and resolution here? thank you for the kind attention given to this
> query.

There is a config file that you will need to take a look at.
pg_hba.conf -- to configure how postgresql will authenticate client connections like the one from
pg admin 3.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/client-authentication.html#AUTH-PG-HBA-CONF
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/client-authentication-problems.html

If you spend about 15-20 minutes reading the document you should be abot to correct the parameters
in this conf file to allow you to recieve connections from clients.

Also, one the changes to the conf file are made, I believe that you will need to restart
postgresql.

Regards,

Richard Broersma Jr.