Re: Maia Mailgard down?

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org, "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Maia Mailgard down?
Date: 2006-08-06 15:11:48
Lists: pgsql-www
On Sat, 5 Aug 2006, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Folks,
>
> Is there any way we can return to whatever we were using before Maia
> mailgard? Maia is patently NOT working ... it's fundamentally broken in
> some way, and isn't blocking any spam.  The interface for Baysian
> filtering is also awkward and darned near unusable.  In a couple months
> we're going to be trying to do the PostgreSQL 8.2 release which means
> that we need the @postgresql.org e-mail addresses working ... and right
> now they're all receiving a flood of unfiltered spam, making them
> unusable.

Actually, all MAIA is is a front-end over what we were using before
(amavisd + spamassassin) to allow individual mailboxes to configure
themselves, instead of one big site-wide setting ... I'm getting a
*trickle* of spam right now, but I've spent the past week or so going
through and training the Bayesian database ... in fact, under the old
system, those 46 messages that are currently quarantined in your cache
would have been delivered, instead of quarantined ... in the
@postgresql.org one that I monitor, there are >7k messages currently in
spam-quarantine that normally would have been passed through to the system

Not sure what you are finding awkward about the interface, but if you go
in and just turn on all the various checks, but *disable* the
quarantining, so that it just label's and passing everything over to you
to filter, you will have exactly the same thing in place that was there
before we added the interface for per-user settings ...

Please note ... at *no time* did we ever reject spam for any mailbox,
except those for the mailing lists themselves, which majordomo is setup to
do ... so if you are seeing more now then before, its because we are being
hit with more now that are passing through spamassassin ...

Note that unlike the ~60 messages in the cache for your mailbox right now
(12 unconfirmed non-spam, 46 unconfirmed spam), the stuff that I go
through is right now sitting at ~10k, and I generally spend about a half
hour in the evening going through it ... I generally care about
unconfirmed-spam between 5 and 10, ignoring most above that ... and
unconfirmed non-spam between 0 and 5 ...

----
Email . scrappy(at)hub(dot)org                              MSN . scrappy(at)hub(dot)org