Re: locale and encoding advice

From: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
To: SF Postgres <sfpug(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: locale and encoding advice
Date: 2006-08-03 23:08:12
Lists: sfpug
On Thu, Aug 03, 2006 at 03:48:21PM -0700, Reece Hart wrote:

> Does anybody know of an idiot's guide to the ins and outs of
> selecting database encoding?  I remember reading on pgsql mailing
> lists about gotchas when  using  some choices of locales or
> encodings with some postgresql features. I recall that someone --
> David Fetter, I think -- wrote something disparaging about
> SQL_ASCII.

*blush*

That was me.  What I wrote was that SQL_ASCII accepts any stream of
bytes which doesn't contain the nul byte (\0) which means it's likely
to accrue garbage.  It's still true.

> My  needs are simple: modern linux (suse 10), x86_64, pg 8.1.4,
> mostly American  English,  occasional use of tsearch2. I don't
> understand the tradeoffs between C, SQL_ASCII, UTF8, or any of the
> other possibilities.  Any recommendations?  I'm in SQL_ASCII now,
> but I'm about to rebuild and this is a good time to reconsider.

I'd go with a C locale and a UTF8 encoding.  The downside of this is
that you may have some trouble importing your old data.

Cheers,
phone: +1 415 235 3778        AIM: dfetter666
                              Skype: davidfetter

Remember to vote!