Re: Main page: about us

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Greg Sabino Mullane <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Main page: about us
Date: 2006-07-29 01:04:12
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
On Fri, 28 Jul 2006, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:
>>

>> The main page (www.postgresql.org/) no longer states anywhere
>> except in the top banner graphic what exactly PostgreSQL *is*.
>> I think we need to change it back to the pre-conference
>> version which stated "PostgreSQL is a highly-scalable, SQL
>> compliant, open source ..." and strive to keep the text there.
>> We can replace other areas (e.g. the "Featured User") box when
>> something important like the conference wrap up needs to be on
>> the main page.
>
> I don't agree. Most people know what PostgreSQL is. People will also not
> likely "fall" upon us.
>
> We need to be advocating in the loudest reasonable voice (which is that part
> of the main page) everything that is going on. I am still irritated we didn't
> get our presence at OSCON up there (partially my fault).

IMHO, what we are should be on the main page, if not for 'real visitors',
but for search engines themselves ... maybe a new section should be added
for "Project Events", or something like that?  Seperate from Upcoming
Events ...

----
Email . scrappy(at)hub(dot)org                              MSN . scrappy(at)hub(dot)org