Re: Installation "baby" steps (next steps)?

From: <operationsengineer1(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: julian howard <julianhwrd(at)yahoo(dot)com>, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Installation "baby" steps (next steps)?
Date: 2006-07-26 05:00:22
Lists: pgsql-novice
> Hi everybody. Just getting started and I'm at the
> point after configuring and make installation of
> both
> the odbc and jdbc drivers. Both installed with no
> problems. Now what to do? What should be my next
> steps
> (commands) be? For testing? Against/with other apps?
>
> Is there some universal php script I can use to test
> postgre with?
>
> thanks!

Julian, you may the postresql pdf found here:

http://www.geocities.com/operationsengineer1/

helpful.

it is set up for winxp, but the basics are the same
for linux.  use pgadmin3 to interact with your db in a
visual way and then you start using commandline
options as you get comfortable.

as a side not - when i first tried to install pgsql
8.0, i didn't know how to use pgadmin3 and i didn't
see a tutorial anywhere.

i then spent the next 30 days getting pgsql 7.x set up
using cygwin (must've installed and reinstalled cygwin
20-30 times, too - i was a total newb).  at the end of
the day, instructions to complete the tasks couldn't
be found anywhere on the net (at least not all in one
place).  here a little, there a little.

now that i know how to do it...  easy pickins.

good luck.