Re: getting mdb(microsoft acess) file in postgresql

From: Richard Broersma Jr <rabroersma(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: nitin quick <quick(dot)nitin(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-novice <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: getting mdb(microsoft acess) file in postgresql
Date: 2006-07-25 13:22:43
Lists: pgsql-novice

> How can i read or import a mdb database file into postgresql?

From my experience, you will have to hand create new ddl (data definition language) statements
for the purpose of making new tables in postgresql that will mirror the tables in the access
database. I do not believe that it will be a simple "copy/paste" procedure.

However, I do believe this processes could be automated by creating a VBE script that would
generate DDL pass-though-queries to postgres by scanning all of the tables{columns, indexes,
constraints, and references), and queries.

Once this is completed you can export each table data into a csv file which will be copied into
the mirrored postgresql table using the copy command from psql. Alternatively, if you wanted to
automate this process, you could use VBE and the PostgreSQL ODBC driver to push data from the
access table to the postgresql tables using insert statements.

additionally I googled this topic and it returned a few useful links that you can use for further
ideas.
http://www.greenleaftech.net/articles/2006/jun/03/migrate-msaccess-to-postgresql/
http://www.data-conversions.net/products.php?prod_num=3&&dest=MENU&&ID=110
http://convert-access-to-postgresql.qarchive.org/