Re: Planet PostgreSQL (Was: Re: Time to scale up?)

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Devrim GUNDUZ <devrim(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Planet PostgreSQL (Was: Re: Time to scale up?)
Date: 2006-07-24 20:46:00
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-www

Devrim GUNDUZ wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, 2006-07-24 at 09:04 -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> > And as Alvaro mentioned, the same should go for
> > planet.postgresql.org .
>
> Why?
>
> We offer blogging area to PostgreSQL people there. However we don't
> control (that's our policy) what those people write to their blogs. What
> if those people write something that is not acceptable for PostgreSQL?

I don't understand why you think we should control what people write on
their blogs just so we can say that the Planet is a community resource.
If they write something unacceptable, well, it's their opinion anyway,
so why should we care?

Has anyone done so anyway? Did anyone post how he adores Larry's
database already?

> This site is not a part of PostgreSQL project. At least it was not
> designed so. That's what I thought when I got this domain 2 years ago.

Well, it's got the "postgresql" string on it, and it contains only blogs
related to very PostgreSQL-related people. I don't understand what on
it makes it not be "part of PostgreSQL project".

> Personally I'm against this, because I don't feel Planet as a part of
> main PostgreSQL project...
>
> ... and I don't care for other planets, like kde, etc.

I'm not saying you should care. I'm just putting them as examples.
They gladly host blogs of people on their community, without any kind of
obnoxious restrictions you seem to want for a "PostgreSQL-community
planet".