Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Time to scale up?

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org, Thomas Hallgren <thomas(at)tada(dot)se>
Subject: Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Time to scale up?
Date: 2006-07-24 15:57:06
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-www

On Mon, 24 Jul 2006, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>>> Honestly, until it carries a postgresql.org domain, ..... it will always
>>> be a second class citizen except to those in the know.
>>
>> You mean like http://planetpostgresql.org? I've been wondering a long
>> time why it isn't http://planet.postgresql.org/ like every other project
>> I know.
>>

> Well that is a very good point, because I have always considered
> planetpostgresql not a part of the PostgreSQL project. I hadn't even
> considered that it is a postgresql project until just now.

Just curious, but why does it have to be *.postgresql.org to be considered
official? Isn't official what we make it ... ? It should be prominently
linked *from* the main web site, but shouldn't *have* to be a subdomain of
... pgFoundry should have, I think, a more prominent link in the Weekly
News stuff ... we could also add the various web sites, individually, and
with short blurbs, to the mailing list tips ...

The thing is, everyone spends their time putting pgFoundry down as being
'second class' ... of course everyone else is going to consider it such
also ... it isn't second class, nor was it ever meant to be ... if ppl
promoted, pushed and advertised it more, it would be as 'second class' as
common to go to as CPAN is for Perl ...

----
Email . scrappy(at)hub(dot)org MSN . scrappy(at)hub(dot)org
Yahoo . yscrappy Skype: hub.org ICQ . 7615664