Re: PostgreSQL on Embeded Systems

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Terry Lee Tucker <terry(at)esc1(dot)com>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL on Embeded Systems
Date: 2006-07-18 17:50:13
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tuesday 18 July 2006 07:18, Terry Lee Tucker wrote:
> On Tuesday 18 July 2006 05:50 am, Adem HUR <ademhur(at)gmail(dot)com> thus
> communicated:
> --> Hi,
> -->
> --> I am sory for my bad English :)
> -->
> -->
> --> We try to use PostgreSQL on an Embeded System.
> -->
> --> Plan to use this PC/104 Module
> --> http://www.icop.com.tw/products_detail.asp?ProductID=106
> -->
> -->
> --> and this EmbedDisk
> --> http://www.icop.com.tw/products_detail.asp?ProductID=185
> -->
> -->
> --> There is a Linux version (X-Linux) for the PC/104 Module.
> --> http://www.dmp.com.tw/tech/os-xlinux/
> -->
> --> This Linux looks enough for our project.
> -->
> --> We instal X-Linux on PC/104 Module.
> -->
> --> Now, We want to install PostgreSQL
> -->
> --> but there are some problems
> -->
> --> 1 - Firstly, Can we install PostgreSQL on this X-Linux?
> -->
> --> 2 - Our EmbedDisk capacity is 128 Mb.
> --> X-Linux size approximately 32Mb.
> -->
> --> Our expectation, PostgreSQL operate standart query on basic tables
> --> and listen 5432 port.
> -->
> --> A program collect data from peripheral devices, insert this data
> --> into PostgreSQL database. Another program access this database by
> use 5432 --> port, read and delete data.
> -->
> --> We want to use PostgreSQL on PC/104 Module because we already use
> --> PostgreSQL for other part of the project.
> -->
> --> We have a capacity problem, so PostgreSQL installation and
> --> database tables must be configure to smaller size.
> -->
> --> How can we do this? suggestion,information, document...
> -->
> --> How much the PostgreSQL installation size?
> -->
> -->
> --> Thanks,
> -->
> -->
> -->
> --> ---------------------------(end of
> broadcast)--------------------------- --> TIP 3: Have you checked our
> extensive FAQ?
> -->
> --> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq
> -->
> From the 7.4.6 documentation:
> Also check that you have sufficient disk space. You will need about 65 MB
> for the source tree during compilation and about 15 MB for the installation
> directory. An empty database cluster takes about 25 MB, databases take
> [...]

Well, certainly you aren't going to want to be compiling from source and
running full regression on each install... I'd think you would want some type
of imaged configuration set up... for example dropping the template0,
template1, and postgres databases once you have your database installed.
There are other things that can be done too... check the archives as others
have wieghed in on this topic before.

--
Robert Treat