Re: DocBook/XML summary

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Subject: Re: DocBook/XML summary
Date: 2006-07-16 18:16:43
Lists: pgsql-docs
Peter, Josh,

> > - XML editing tools are more widely available.  (Totally unconfirmed
> > assumption; I'm happy with what I have.)
>
> Most XML tools I have ran into also support SGML.

Like which?   I've been completely unable to find any tools more sophisticated
than Emacs+SGML that support SGML adequately to work on the PostgreSQL docs,
while there are literally dozens of XML editors ... including some GUI
editors ... which support DocBook XML.

I have yet to see *any* tool for SGML which does more than validate tags.  The
goal of DocBook XML would be to attract new Doc contributors (like *me*) by
allowing them to use tools which to not require them to spend more time
tagging their text than writing it.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun