Re: how to monitor the amount of bytes fetched in a executeQuery()

From: Albert Cardona <acardona(at)ini(dot)phys(dot)ethz(dot)ch>
To: Oliver Jowett <oliver(at)opencloud(dot)com>, pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: how to monitor the amount of bytes fetched in a executeQuery()
Date: 2006-07-12 22:00:00
Lists: pgsql-jdbc
> Well, there's only one InputStream per connection really.. If a
> bytecount from there is useful it wouldn't be too hard to expose
> (perhaps on PGconnection), but it'd only be approximate because that one
> stream is used for all activity on the connection including other
> columns, protocol overhead, etc.

That would definitely work for me, since data is orders of magnitude larger
than any overheads. In any case it would serve the purpose of showing that
the connection is not stuck, that bytes are flowing in even if -on occasions-
slowly. One could even use it to calculate connection/download/upload speed
and thus provide very nice information to the impatient user.

I will have a look at the code myself but I'm not familiar with it -you say
it's at PGconnection class?

Albert