suggested RAID controller for FreeBSD 6.1 + PostgreSQL 8.1

From: Kenji Morishige <kenjim(at)juniper(dot)net>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: kenjim(at)juniper(dot)net
Subject: suggested RAID controller for FreeBSD 6.1 + PostgreSQL 8.1
Date: 2006-07-05 23:46:17
Lists: pgsql-performance
I am currently running FreeBSD 4.11 (due to IT requirements for now) and
Adaptec's 2200S RAID controller running in RAID5.  I was advised in the past
that the 2200S is actually a poor performing controller and obviously the
RAID5 is less than ideal for databases.  I chose to run the controller in
RAID5 as the tech I talked to suggested that the 2200S was primarily designed
for RAID5 and it would operate the best that way.  My server is a dual Xeon
  3.06Ghz box running on a motherboard approximately 2-3 years old now.  I'd
like to know what an ideal RAID controller that would be compatible with
FreeBSD 6.1 would be these days.

Thanks in advance,
Kenji

pgsql-performance by date