Re: Table clustering idea

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>, Luke Lonergan <llonergan(at)greenplum(dot)com>, Dawid Kuroczko <qnex42(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Table clustering idea
Date: 2006-06-28 03:46:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Jim,

> I know there were discussions in the past, though as per usual I can't
> find them in the archives.

Search on "B-Tree Organized Tables".

From what I can find, this feature isn't prohibitively useless.  It's just a
singnificant amount of effort for a result which is a tradeoff.   That is,
you'd *only* want to use it on tables which are *always* accessed by their
primary key.

What stopped the features AFAICT is that the interested parties weren't up to
doing the code.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun