Re: BUG #2495: -i start up option blows pg_ctl program.

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Ermest <whitelaw(at)netc(dot)pt>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #2495: -i start up option blows pg_ctl program.
Date: 2006-06-25 00:01:22
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Tom Lane wrote:
> > There is indeed a bug in pg_ctl here. We are reporting an error which
> > getopt_long already reported; and furthermore, optarg is not set by that
> > function in case of error. This is the fix:
>
> Good catch, but I'd suggest not just removing the write_stderr but
> adding a comment in its place:
>
> /* getopt_long already issued a suitable error message */
>
> Please commit fix in all relevant branches.

I'm working on it.

7.3 does not have our getopt_long, so the first branch to check is 7.4.

In my system, on 7.4, contrib/pg_dumplo is linked against the system's
getopt_long, not against our version. So the current code is OK -- but
if on some platform there is no getopt_long, I suspect our version would
be picked, which causes a problem. What should we do about it? One
thought is leave it alone -- it's an old branch and no one has ever
noticed this problem before. On the other hand, this may possibly be a
security issue.

On 7.4, pg_ctl was still a shell script, so the exact problem at hand
does not exist.

On 8.0 there is no pg_dumplo, and pg_ctl is the only program which shows
this problem.

I'm still investigating other branches.

--
Alvaro Herrera http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/CTMLCN8V17R4
"No hay ausente sin culpa ni presente sin disculpa" (Prov. francés)