Re: Copy Data Question

From: <operationsengineer1(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Copy Data Question
Date: 2006-06-23 19:28:42
Lists: pgsql-novice

> >> i Start -> Run-> type "cmd" and press enter
> >> i then type....
> >> COPY t_temp FROM C:\parts.csv'
>
> >> and i get the following error:
> >> "The system cannnot find the file specified."
>
> I'll bet doubling the backslash would help.

okay, i canned using cmd in windows and i went with
the query tool in pgadmin3.

i have it so it almost works, but...

i have 11 columns total. column 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6
are NOT NULL. the rest can be null and, in the case
of the imported data set, are null.

how do i manage this in the spreadsheets?

i tried leaving the extra cells empty - i received an
invalid data type for the first column without data.

i tried putting in '' each of the 5 empty columns and
i received the following error:

ERROR: value too long for type character varying(4)
CONTEXT: COPY t_temp, line 1, column
test_procedures_revision: "''''''"

i'm using tab delimited for the field delimiter.

as always, any guidance is much appreciated.