Re: OLE in Postgres?

From: Richard Broersma Jr <rabroersma(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Christo Romberg <coromberg(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: OLE in Postgres?
Date: 2006-06-20 21:43:07
Lists: pgsql-novice
> Is there an similiar datatype like OLE in PostgreSQL?
>
> Is there a data type that allow you to create a LINK to a file in the
> filesystem?

From what I've seen. It is possible to save the PATH to files in a filesystem.

Also,  there are a couple of datatypes that can be used to save a binary files into a record.
However,  I do not know if an OLE control can be dropped onto a form to display the contents of
these embedded files.  Although, I have heard discussion in the mailing lists that described other
ways to view stored binary files.

See:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/lo-funcs.html

I've also heard discussions regarding encoding tools that would convert binary files to text for
import into large text fields.  This method has the advantage that it can store much larger files.

Regards,

Richard Broersma Jr.