Re: Unique constraint and index-combination feature in 8.1

From: Bruno Wolff III <bruno(at)wolff(dot)to>
To: ow <oneway_111(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Unique constraint and index-combination feature in 8.1
Date: 2006-06-20 20:37:57
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Tue, Jun 20, 2006 at 03:40:37 -0700,
ow <oneway_111(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is it somehow possible to create a UNIQUE constraint that relies on non-unique
> ONE-column indexes and uses index-combination feature in 8.1 ?
>
> The alternative, which we use now, is to create a unique MULTI-column index on
> the respective coulumns.

I am not completely sure what you are asking. But if you want a unique
constraint over multiple columns you can specify a unique table constraint
using multiple columns when you create a table.

If you are looking for something else, it might help to give a bit more
description about what you are looking for.