Re: help with error message from perl Pg

From: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
To: Geoffrey <esoteric(at)3times25(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: help with error message from perl Pg
Date: 2006-06-20 13:59:45
Lists: pgsql-generalpgsql-interfaces
On Tue, Jun 20, 2006 at 09:33:13AM -0400, Geoffrey wrote:
> We have an unusual problem with some perl code that is processing data
> via DBD facility.  Basically, the code consists of various subroutines
> that are identified in a hash.  The primary script then references the
> subroutines through a &$prog(...) syntax.  What appears to happen is
> that all subroutines will run just fine if they do not need to do any
> deletes or updates to the database.  Any subroutine that does a delete
> or update runs fine, but the subsequent routine fails with the following
> error:
>
> prgcaphlg: FATAL:  invalid frontend message type 78

Errors in the FE-BE protocol are usually caused by users trying to use
the same connection from multiple threads simultaneously. libpq doesn't
handle that and so ends up sending things out of order.

Are you using threads?

Also, the database connection, how is the handle passed around? Youre
not closing it accedently somewhere?

Have a ncie day,