Re: get a pkey/id back from/after an insert

From: "Corey" <corey(at)bitworthy(dot)net>
To: "Undisclosed(dot)Recipients": ;
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: get a pkey/id back from/after an insert
Date: 2006-06-19 22:27:53
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Monday 19 June 2006 15:00, Richard Broersma Jr wrote:
> I am not sure what the best practice is for adding records to both a "parent" and "child" table.
> However, examples in the postgresql documentation demonstrate the use a view that joins the parent
> and child tables.
>
> Rules are used to propagate insert/update/delete statements on the view to the actual parent/child
> tables. In addition to this, inserts to the view can also be redirected using triggers.
>
> Once this is setup, I would expect that it would simplify your procedural code.
>
> See:
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/rules.html
>

> I would be interested in seeing if there is a way to preform operations like this (without views)
> with just one Sql statement.

Excellent - yes, this is ultimately the same thing I was hoping to achieve:
a single operation, rather than two or more disparate actions.

Thankyou for the extra info and the link, I will definitely check that out very
soon ( right now I'm in crunch mode and just to get something working,
even if it's less elegant ). I'll post to the list if I successfully manage to
get the single-statement, non-view solution working.

Thanks!

Corey