Re: COPY view

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Hans-Juergen Schoenig <hs(at)cybertec(dot)at>, Karel Zak <zakkr(at)zf(dot)jcu(dot)cz>, List pgsql-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: COPY view
Date: 2006-06-14 21:35:22
Lists: pgsql-patches

Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> Hans-Juergen Schoenig wrote:
>

> > why do we agree on a patch, implement it and reject it then?
> > would be easier to reject it before actually implementing it ...
> > it is quite hard to explain to a customer that something is rejected
> > after approval - even if things are written properly ...
> >

> That's a good point and I understand the pain.
>
> Could we maybe do this?: Take the patch as it is now, and if/when we
> get the more general syntax we do a little magic under the hood to turn
> COPY viewname TO
> into
> COPY (select * from viewname) TO

We could. But we would do it because we want that behavior on its own,
rather than doing it just to support a feature we added in the past.

The question is, if we were adding the query syntax _now_, would we want
to do views that way? If so, we can add the patch and just fix it up
when we get the queries.

--
Bruce Momjian http://candle.pha.pa.us