Re: DescribParam

From: Ludek Finstrle <luf(at)pzkagis(dot)cz>
To: "Glenn B(dot) Lawler" <gblawler(at)incodesystems(dot)com>
Cc: "'PostgreSQL ODBC List'" <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: DescribParam
Date: 2006-06-07 20:08:45
Lists: pgsql-odbc
> So, if SQLDescribeParam is not supported, how do you
> know how big to make the buffers?

I don't know. I'm sorry. If you find the way with PgSQL backend
we'll be glad.

> I assume everyone must either use a standard size for
> all parameters or the caller must know the right size to
> use.

Or you have to know what you ask for. Please try standard size
and hope that it's enough. I don't have better advice.
Maybe I'm wrong and someone more experienced correct it.

BTW this is comment from psqlODBC:
/*
 *	Returns the description of a parameter marker.
 *	This function is listed as not being supported by SQLGetFunctions() because it is
 *	used to describe "parameter markers" (not bound parameters), in which case,
 *	the dbms should return info on the markers.  Since Postgres doesn't support that,
 *	it is best to say this function is not supported and let the application assume a
 *	data type (most likely varchar).
 */

Regards,

Luf