Re: adding new field

From: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
To: ranbeer makin <ranbeer(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: adding new field
Date: 2006-06-05 18:03:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Jun 05, 2006 at 11:24:09PM +0530, ranbeer makin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have two questions to ask:
>
> 1. How to flush buffer in postgres? I'm not able to see the changes that I
> make in my code. Sometimes the output comes and sometime it's not. What
> might be the problem?

How do you mean? What kind of buffer? If you mean when does stuff in
the buffercache hit disk, well, normally they xlogged so they may not
appear in the actual datafiles. However, a CHECKPOINT may do it.

> 2. I have added a new field in RESDOM structure, made necessary
> modifications in outfuncs.c, copy, read, equalfuncs.c ....but my prog is
> behaving in a weird way, seems like some memory probs...What other
> modifications needs to be done to reflect the addition of this new field?

Did you remember to recompile *everything* affected? (--enable-depend
is useful for this). You also have to initdb again.

Hope this helps,