Re: Re [HACKERS]: Still not happy with psql's multiline history behavior

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Sergey E(dot) Koposov" <math(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)ru>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re [HACKERS]: Still not happy with psql's multiline history behavior
Date: 2006-06-05 03:55:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Sergey E. Koposov wrote:
> On Sun, 4 Jun 2006, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > Sergey E. Koposov wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I'm sending the patch fixing the \r bug:
> >
> > Funny, I just applied a simpler fix for the \r bug. Please review it.
> > Thanks.
> >

> It is simpler, because it behaves differently.
> Your patch for the case:
> wsdb=# select
> wsdb-# \r
> Query buffer reset (cleared).
>
> puts in the history two elements ("\r" and "select")
>
> Mine puts only "\r", just because
> <quote> \r reset (clear) the query buffer</quote>
> and I think that's reasonable, but I don't insist...

I think I like the fact there two separate entries, so we are OK.

> > I am confused by the \e bug. I just tried 8.1.X and it seems to behave
> > the same as CVS HEAD. What exactly should it do?
> >

> It is not actually a bug, I think it's a Tom's habit.
> In 8.1.x if you type for example in the editor "select 1+" and exit from
> it, the "select 1+" string will be already in the history. But in CVS HEAD
> it will be saved internally, but it won't be shown in the history until the
> user finishes the command with ';'. And there is really no need for
> correcting that, I think.

Thanks, that was clear. The attached patch fixes it. It is a little
larger than usual because I changed the name of the boolean and reversed
its usage. It now works like it did in 8.1.X.

--
Bruce Momjian http://candle.pha.pa.us

Attachment Content-Type Size
/bjm/diff text/x-diff 2.7 KB