BUG #2466: lock issues...

From: "P(dot)P(dot)S(dot) Narayan" <ppsnarayan(at)lucent(dot)com>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BUG #2466: lock issues...
Date: 2006-06-03 14:04:52
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference:      2466
Logged by:          P.P.S. Narayan
Email address:      ppsnarayan(at)lucent(dot)com
PostgreSQL version: 8.1
Operating system:   Windows XP
Details:

Here is what I am seeing.

I have a postgres instance running on a Windows XP machine with a Tomcat
server. Occasionally one of the http requests (which updates the DB) hangs.
We still have not found out why that happens.

However, there are a bunch of http requests that come in after the hanging
request, which get deadlocked on the locks held by the hanging request. AS
far as I have read, there is a lock_timeout parameter in postgresql config
file to timeout after 1s. But none of the latter http requests timeout.

Can you provide me with
a. Any advice, on how I can go about figuring out what is happening?
b. Is this a known problem on Windows XP. And is there some remedy?

Thanks
-ppsn

pgsql-bugs by date