Re: [HACKERS] pg_resetxlog -r flag

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: PostgreSQL-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: yuanjia lee <yuanjia_pg(at)yahoo(dot)com>, Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] pg_resetxlog -r flag
Date: 2006-06-03 02:20:01
Lists: pgsql-patches
[ FYI, my previous email mentioned -f, while the feature is -r.]

Bruce Momjian wrote:
> A month ago, pg_resetxlog got an -r flag:
>
>   -r    restore the pg_control file from old XLog files,
>         resets is not done.
>
> However, the patch had identifiable problems that are still not fixed:
>
> 	http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2006-05/msg00013.php
>
> Unless these problems are fixed in the next few days, the patch will be
> reverted.

No one has fixed the patch, so I am removing it.  There is a memory leak
in the code, a missing lock, and it needs to be better designed.  If
anyone wants to update the patch and resubmit it, please go ahead.  The
problem are listed in this thread:

	http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2006-05/msg00002.php

--
  Bruce Momjian   http://candle.pha.pa.us