Re: Possible TODO item: copy to/from pipe

From: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>, Chris Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Possible TODO item: copy to/from pipe
Date: 2006-05-31 19:13:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, May 31, 2006 at 02:46:29PM -0400, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> I wish somebody would explain to me the compelling use case for
> this.

As with "in-place upgrades,"[1] the compelling use case is being short
on disk space. For somebody with a multi-TB (or whatever figure
sounds big this week) PostgreSQL database, it may be impossible to get
space for twice or more that. Giving people the option to stream
COPYs through a pipe would alleviate a lot of pain.

Cheers,

[1] A feature people seem to think we don't need, although convincing
cases have been made for it.
phone: +1 415 235 3778 AIM: dfetter666
Skype: davidfetter

Remember to vote!