Re: reindexdb command utlility

From: Euler Taveira de Oliveira <euler(at)timbira(dot)com>
To: Henrik Zagerholm <henke(at)mac(dot)se>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: reindexdb command utlility
Date: 2006-05-31 01:47:49
Lists: pgsql-bugs
> I used wanted to point out the the ( -q, --quiet ) parameter for
> reindexdb command utility does not work.
Actually it is *not* a bug. The NOTICE is printed by the REINDEX
command; reindexdb is just a wrapper around REINDEX command. If you
set up 'client_min_messages' in postgresql.conf, you don't get those
'annoying' messages.

> Also reindexdb writes NOTICE to standard err for every table it
> reindexes which makes it really hard to use in script as it always
> produces an "errror".  :-)
You can always ignore NOTICE. grep is your friend. :-)

Looking at the code, IMHO we could raise the ereport from NOTICE to
INFO (see the patch attached). None of the scripts actually raise
NOTICEs if it succeeds.

  Euler Taveira de Oliveira