Re: reindexdb command utlility

From: Euler Taveira de Oliveira <euler(at)timbira(dot)com>
To: Henrik Zagerholm <henke(at)mac(dot)se>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: reindexdb command utlility
Date: 2006-05-31 01:47:49
Lists: pgsql-bugs
> I used wanted to point out the the ( -q, --quiet ) parameter for
> reindexdb command utility does not work.
Actually it is *not* a bug. The NOTICE is printed by the REINDEX
command; reindexdb is just a wrapper around REINDEX command. If you
set up 'client_min_messages' in postgresql.conf, you don't get those
'annoying' messages.

> Also reindexdb writes NOTICE to standard err for every table it
> reindexes which makes it really hard to use in script as it always
> produces an "errror".  :-)

You can always ignore NOTICE. grep is your friend. :-)

Looking at the code, IMHO we could raise the ereport from NOTICE to
INFO (see the patch attached). None of the scripts actually raise
NOTICEs if it succeeds.

Comments?

--
  Euler Taveira de Oliveira