Re: full vacuum - resources - scaling

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: "Mr(dot) Dan" <bitsandbytes88(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: full vacuum - resources - scaling
Date: 2006-05-30 14:10:31
Lists: pgsql-admin
Mr. Dan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have noticed that my full vacuum and re-index script is taking a day and
> a half instead of 1/2 day.
> Recently, the size of my database cluster has doubled to 130 GB.   Would
> anyone recommend increasing one or more of these to help get my full
> vacuums to run a little faster?

I guess the question is why are you running vacuum full at all.  Plain
vacuum should suffice, provided the FSM settings are enough for your
database:

> maxfsmpages       480001 (6 bytes each)
> maxfsmrelations    30000 (70 bytes each)

max_fsm_pages at 480000 are enough to cover 3 GB, if my math is correct.
It may be enough or it may not, depending on the dynamics of your data.

Also with non-full vacuum you may be able to get away with vacuuming
some tables more often.