Re: Which RPM for RH Linux ES 4? PGDB or RH?

From: Alan Hodgson <ahodgson(at)simkin(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Which RPM for RH Linux ES 4? PGDB or RH?
Date: 2006-05-30 16:49:18
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tuesday 30 May 2006 09:39, "Philippe Lang" <philippe(dot)lang(at)attiksystem(dot)ch>
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have to install PGSQL 7.4.13 under RH Linux Entreprise Server 4, and I
> can apparently use either the rpm "postgresql-XXXX-7.4.13-1PGDG.i686.rpm"
> from the Postgresql Development Group, or use the rpm
> "postgresql-XXXX-7.4.13-2.RHEL4.1.i386" from Redhat itself.
>
> What is the best to do?

The best thing, if you have the choice, would be to download the 8.1.4 RPMs
from postgresql.org and run those. Or run the 8.1.4 RPMs from the CentOS 4
testing repo, which include a compatibility library from an older version,
that some other RHEL 4 binaries depend on.

If you have to run 7.4, though, you might as well run the ones Red Hat
ships. I doubt they support any other config.

--
In a world where the citizens of most developed nations have half their
incomes wrested from them by the state, how widely supported do you think