COPY FROM view

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: COPY FROM view
Date: 2006-05-28 17:53:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Hi,

I've been having the COPY FROM patch that was posted on pgsql-patches
some time ago (I think from Hannu Krossing), sitting on my machine, with
the intention to commit it for 8.2.  However there's something I'm not
very sure about -- the patch creates an execution plan by passing a
literal "SELECT * FROM view" to pg_parse_query, pg_analyze_and_rewrite,
and finally planner().

I'm sure we can make this work appropiately, patching over the quoting
issues that the patch doesn't deal with, but I'm unsure if this is an
acceptable approach.  (Actually I think it isn't.)  But what is an
acceptable way to do it?

--
Alvaro Herrera                                http://www.PlanetPostgreSQL.org
"No necesitamos banderas