trigger help

From: Donald Brady <my_dev_email(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: trigger help
Date: 2006-05-28 06:02:02
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi

I have a simple funtion and trigger that should fire
when I insert, update or delete a a ticket table. The
purpose of the trigger is to keep two total columns in
an associated business_day table equal to the sum of
all lunch and dinner tickets for that day. Trouble is
nothing happens. Nothing.

Am I doing anything obviously wrong? Or how do I go
about debugging this.

Any help much appreciated.

Here is the function and trigger...

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION process_ticket() RETURNS
TRIGGER AS $process_ticket$
declare
l_total numeric(10,2);
d_total numeric(10,2);
business_day_pkey integer;
BEGIN

IF (TG_OP = 'DELETE') THEN
business_day_pkey = OLD.id;
ELSE
business_day_pkey = NEW.id;
END IF; --

select into l_total sum(ticket_amount) from tickets
where lunch_ticket = true and business_day_id =
business_day_pkey;
select into d_total sum(ticket_amount) from tickets
where lunch_ticket = false and business_day_id =
business_day_pkey;

update business_days set lunch_sales = l_total where
id = business_day_pkey;
update business_days set dinner_sales = d_total where
id = business_day_pkey;

RETURN NULL; -- result is ignored since this is an
AFTER trigger
END;
$process_ticket$ LANGUAGE plpgsql;

CREATE TRIGGER ticket_trigger_i_u_d
AFTER INSERT OR UPDATE OR DELETE ON tickets
FOR EACH ROW EXECUTE PROCEDURE process_ticket();