a MySQL to PostgreSQL successful port, but performance is bad...

From: Jim Brown <jimbrown32rb(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: a MySQL to PostgreSQL successful port, but performance is bad...
Date: 2006-05-27 20:38:23
Lists: pgsql-novice

I just converted a working app from MySQL to
PostgreSQL. I used fabForce's DBDesigner 4 to build
and maintain my data model in MySQL. To port the
schema, I exported the data model to an SQL file, and
hand tweaked the file to change datatypes and move
INDEX statements out of the Create Table statements.
Everything worked like a charm. I can switch back and
forth between the two databases by simply changing the
ODBC connect string.

Here's my problem, though: queries in mySQL are almost
instantaneous, whereas those same queries in
PostgreSQL can take four seconds or more - even when
I'm hitting a table with only one row. I'll bet I have
something misconfigured, but I'm a newbie FNG, and I
don't yet know my way around yet.

BTW, I did a search on mySQL in the novice threads,
and performance seems like a hot-button issue. Please
be assured that I have no issues or agendas with
either product, and fully assume that I have something
misconfigured. I'm slightly overwhelmed by the volume
of documentation (on-line, and I bought books by
Douglas&Douglas and Matthew&Stone) and would like a
few points in the correct direction.

Help is absolutely appreciated.

Regards,
Jim Brown