Re: [pgsql-advocacy] One line new items

From: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Martin Marques <martin(at)bugs(dot)unl(dot)edu(dot)ar>, PostgreSQL WWW <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [pgsql-advocacy] One line new items
Date: 2006-05-17 17:34:34
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-www

On Wed, May 17, 2006 at 10:03:26AM -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >>We most certainly are selling something. PostgreSQL.
> >
> >Uh, I don't think so. We are _offering_ it.
> >

> Oh good lord, lets get into a terminology argument shall we.

Let's not :)

> The point, is that we are trying to insure that PostgreSQL is the
> prominent OSS database. Yes? If so....
>
> Selling/Offering/Giving/Proliferating
>
> Pick your word I really don't care.
>
> It is obnoxious to have PR trolls offer only a one liner with a link
> to another website without any context to the content beyond the
> title.

In the PostgreSQL Weekly News, I put one line of description--often
not even 70 characters--and a link, but I make sure it's really
PostgreSQL content. It's meant to take you to another site, and it's
part of why people send me things in advance for it.

But that's for PWN, which is designed to be a quick, readable summary.
What is the purpose of those news bits? If it's to keep people on the
site, then Josh Drake's point is 100% on.

Cheers,
phone: +1 415 235 3778 AIM: dfetter666
Skype: davidfetter

Remember to vote!