Re: Banners on postgresql.org not running on pgsql?

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Banners on postgresql.org not running on pgsql?
Date: 2006-05-10 17:12:01
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Marc,

> Why? Personally, I think it falls under 'the right tool for the job' ...
> there are two things I use MySQL for: phpAdsNew and Spamassassin/Bayes DB
> ... neither of which I care if there is data lost for, and for which using
> Berkeley DB would work just as well, if I cared to learn its API ...

Well, problem #1 is that you never discussed this on pgsql-www that I can find
in the archives. It's quite possible that the other WWW team members would
not share your evaluation, and would have decided to take another course.
This looks like a case of you making a unilateral decision which other
members of the team could (will?) be required to do damage control on.

BTW, the reason Spamassassin requires MySQL is that it's badly designed -- on
my server we couldn't even use MySQL, we were running it in RAM because of
the I/O intensive design. If you switched to dspam, you could use Postgres
properly.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions