Re: Banners on postgresql.org not running on pgsql?

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org, "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Matteo Beccati <php(at)beccati(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Banners on postgresql.org not running on pgsql?
Date: 2006-05-10 12:01:13
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Tue, 9 May 2006, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Marc,
>
>> As embarressing it is to say, we've been using the MySQL version of
>> phpAdsNew for almost a year now ... its the only one we could find that
>> could actually keep up with the # of hits that the web sites are getting
>
> Um, you just sent that to the list.
>
> I think that's now a priority to fix immediately.

Why? Personally, I think it falls under 'the right tool for the job' ...
there are two things I use MySQL for: phpAdsNew and Spamassassin/Bayes DB
... neither of which I care if there is data lost for, and for which using
Berkeley DB would work just as well, if I cared to learn its API ...

And ya, that is *still* the level I put MySQL at ... Berkeley DB + an SQL
frontend.

How many ppl on this list are using Berkeley DB for their stuff, when a
PostgreSQL backend is available? Postfix has native PostgreSQL hooks for
most of their maps, but how many ppl use that over hash tables?

But, as an aside, it has been awhile since I've tried phpPgAds, and
haven't with 8.1, so I've messaged Matteo offlist about seeing about
getting it to perform ... so, we'll see ...

----