Re: Lightspeed for frmQuery and other issues.

From: "Edward Di Geronimo Jr(dot)" <edigeronimo(at)xtracards(dot)com>
To: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Lightspeed for frmQuery and other issues.
Date: 2006-04-30 15:08:50
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Quoting Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>:

> Simply select some non-adjacent cells in arbitrary cols and rows.

I stated that in the beginning, and asked if anyone had any
suggestions on what to do in that case. If you completely arbitrarily
hightlight cells, there really isn't a way to store them in the
clipboard. Because no one had any suggestions on how to handle it,
yourself included, the decision was made to just copy the first group
of cells highlighted.

> The implementation did not meet the primary requirement, so I objected
> clearly and early. You decided to commit an half-brewn "enhancement"
> based on a technique that was known not to meet the TODO, i.e. doing it
> with a virtual control. You can't be too surprised I basically rolled
> back that beast, to have the first step made before the second.

Users dont care about virtual controls or not. Users care about basic
functionality like being able to copy subsets of data into the
clipboard. Only behing able to copy entire rows at a time is a half
brewn implementation. It would have been much easier for you to
refactor things into a virtual table than to do this, and it would've
made everyone happy.

Also, you're forgetting that the only reason I didn't implement code
similar to this originally is because you were rather insistant that
the data retrieval code should not be changed in any way. It's not
exactly reasonable to place restrictions on other people's work simply
so that you can later complain that the work isn't good enough and
have an excuse to rip it out.

Ed