Re: Logging pg_autovacuum

From: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
To: Larry Rosenman <lrosenman(at)pervasive(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Matthew T(dot) O'Connor" <matthew(at)zeut(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Logging pg_autovacuum
Date: 2006-04-28 20:38:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Apr 28, 2006 at 03:18:56PM -0500, Larry Rosenman wrote:
> > Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org> writes:
> >> You know, rather than adding new columns to pg_class, why not extend
> >> the stats collector to collect this information.
>
> That sounds doable. And a lot less scary for me (as a relative
> noobie) to do.

Well, I've been thinking a bit more and it seems a perfect fit in many
ways. None of the info we're talking about here takes any extra time to
calculate, it's all debates about what to log. So send it to the stats
collector and let it deal with it.

It should probably tie in with normal vacuum. We get requests from time
to time from people wanting to know the last time a table was vacuumed
(not autovacuumed) for example.

And it's probably a nice little sub-project someone can work on :)

Have a nice day,